Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Add Radishes to Your Anti-Cancer Diet


My husband brought home a big batch of fresh radishes the other day, preparing to make a special recipe. He now can’t find the recipe and has no idea what it was or what to do with the radishes. So, first, welcome to my life. And second, let’s talk radishes.
Turns out this shy little vegetable is actually quite healthy:
• Radishes are part of the family of cruciferous vegetables, known cancer-fighters.
• Radishes are a good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Copper, Manganese, fiber, Vitamin C, Folate and Potassium.

 Calcium, fiber and folate are especially important in fighting breast cancer, especially triple negative.
So, we’ve been munching them as quick little snacks and accompaniments to salads.
Some things to watch out for: Radishes are high in sugar, so don’t go overboard. And the idea of radishes in Iowa in the middle of winter is simply unnatural, so I am leery of what additives might have kept them fresh on their trip from Florida, Mexico, or parts even farther south. And, if they came from outside of the U.S., the level of pesticides and herbicides could be high. Still, they are not on the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen, a list of high-contaminant vegetables. And they are being tested for use on the International Space Station, which I suspect means absolutely nothing to me.
Still, I wash them thoroughly for safety. And I am keeping me eyes out for the recipe that brought them here in the first place. I hope it was not this one.


Donate just $25 to this site and receive a copy of my book, Surviving Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. Click the Donate button on the right to donate through PayPal.   You'll then get an email from me asking how you want your book signed and where you want it sent.  Thanks!  And hugs.  Your support is all that keeps this whole thing going.

No comments: