Friday, June 18, 2010

Another Healthy Breakfast

A few months ago I posted information on my favorite breakfast smoothie. I am now trying a different approach, for a little variation. (Also because my cholesterol was a tad high.)

Here's my new favorite:

Blueberries coated with flax seed and yogurt. It's easy. Just get some frozen berries--they are cheaper than fresh and every bit as healthy, if not more so. Put 1/4 cup in a bowl and top with 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed. Mix thoroughly--the seed will naturally adhere to the frozen berries. Then add 1/2 cup of fat-free plain yogurt. This is packed with antioxidants and gives you a nice bump of calcium as well. I have this as my "breakfast appetizer"--what I have when I first wake up. (Make sure you use ground flax seed, as whole seeds just go right through you. And, once they are ground, store in the refrigerator.)

I follow that, in an hour or two, with oatmeal--1/2 cup of whole oats in 1 cup of water. Then I mix another 1/4 cup of blueberries in. This lowers the cholesterol and adds a few more antioxidants.

I usually go for a walk between the two. We are now at our Colorado cabin, so we go for a healthy hike.

No comments: