Sunday, February 12, 2012

What Should I Title My Book on Triple Negative Breast Cancer?

Hey, wonderful readers.  I need your help.  My book on TNBC will be out in the fall, but so far it does not have a winning title.  I have added a poll to the right so you can give your opinion on some of the suggestions so far.  If you have additional ideas--please! please!--you can add them in the comments below, or shoot me an email.  Please do not be shy. 


A brief overview of the book:  

Nearly 70,000 women a year are diagnosed with triple-negative and other forms of hormone-negative breast cancer, yet no book exists on this disease.  Patricia Prijatel fills this void by using a broad array of scientific studies presented in the context of her own experience and through profiles of other women who have faced TNBC. 
The Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Book (or whatever)  provides research-based information on the characteristics of TNBC, survival statistics, proper treatment, and strategies to reduce the risk of recurrence, including diet and lifestyle changes. It provides a guide to understanding your pathology report and explores possible risk factors for TNBC, including the role of the BRCA genetic mutations, family history, and race.  Prijatel provides scientific studies to support her information and to offer suggestions for further reading. 
Prijatel's  primary message is that TNBC is a disease to take seriously, with proper and occasionally aggressive treatment, but it is not automatically a killer; in fact, most women diagnosed with the disease do survive. 
Prijatel's story will make you laugh and cry, but will show the heart of a survivor.  And the profiles of 11 women from throughout the United States, who were diagnosed in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s put a face on the disease.  These are mothers, wives, daughters, sisters who went through a variety of medical treatments and then got on with life—one competes in triathlons, two had babies after being treated with chemo, one got remarried in her 50s, and one just celebrated the 30th birthday of the son she was nursing when she was diagnosed.



Thanks!  
Pat

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patricia,
You know how we all go through a horror phase, where we believe that TNBC is the worst possible kind of BC to have, and we are sure we will die very soon? ( But in reality the majority of TNBC women do survive.)
Maybe your book title could reflect some of this, living through the shock and fear and surviving.

Teresa said...

How about "TNBC and Me" and then you can add whatever subtitle (like: A Survival Guide.)

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I Survived Triple Negative Breast Cancer and You Can Too!

Kim said...

I voted for one from the list on the side, but I do love Teresa's suggestion. Can't wait to read your book!

Hattie Smith said...

How about "Being Positive about the Negative"?

Marilyn Amstutz said...

I'm still saying, "Isnt it bad enough to get cancer without being saddled with a cancer called TRIPLE negative?". So even though I prefer to call it TNBC, not enough people do that. Therefore, my vote (sadly) would be for a title with Triple Negative in it PLUS some form of the word survivor. Sounds hopeful and that's what your book will be. I can't wait to order a bunch!

janelane said...

I don't like acronyms. I think they're "insider-speak" and are too obscure for general use, including a book title. So I would vote against any title using TNBC. "A Survivor's Guide to Triple Negative Breast Cancer" clearly states what the book is about.

Patricia Prijatel said...

[A READER ASKED THAT THIS BE POSTED ANONYMOUSLY, SO I AM POSTING IT IN MY ACCOUNT.]
Janelane's "survivor's guide..." sounds good to me. Also perhaps the idea that it is a small slice of the BC total but a very lethal one. I haven't thought about this long enough to have a catchy idea yet -- sorry! :-)

It worries me that an emphasis on survivors' stories as winners mirrors our culture's seeming need to make BC a product that is all pink and nice. As my friend said before she died from BC, "what am I, a loser?" (because in spite of all her efforts cancer was taking her out anyway.) We want to believe that we have control and that can be important for survival I know but I also know that my fate is not solely in my hands. It helps big business to portray it is because then they need take no responsibility for the chemicals in our atmosphere/lives. I applaud your book and I hope that these ideas appear somewhere in it also. I do not consider myself a victor over TNBC. I am only very, very fortunate and that is day by day.

nancy said...

Wow... this is so exciting. I love all of the ideas below however I agree with not having TNBC but the actual title, with a subtital.

My 33 year old daughter is on her third Chemo treatment. Diagnosed in June 2011, while nursing her baby, then reoccurance in July 201l. After 6 treatments, the chemo was no longer effective so she was placed on a Clinical Trial at Duke.
Here is few lines from her blog

"JOY, LOVE and HOPE can and do exist in the midst of suffering and pain. and i am thankful that in the process we are getting to experience it ALL. i'm not afraid to sit in the pain or frustration or sadness or anger that can come with living with cancer. i know it will pass and what takes it's place is peace, comfort, grace, hope, love and JOY."
Posted by amy p at 17.2.12

Her blogspot is Marginalia.
www.adamandamyp.blogspot.com

Her caringbridge is
www.caringbridge.org/visit/amypatwa

Thanks so much for you blog spot and I cannot wait for your book.

Patricia Prijatel said...

Thanks for all of your comments and your votes. I will keep you posted on where we go from here. And Nancy, I will check out your daughter's blog. I will also add her--and all of you--to my prayers. Pat

Melissa Paskvan said...

Like Teresa's suggestion, "TNBC and Me", a Survival Guide

Anonymous said...

I like the title GET OVER IT.