Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Women Satisfied With "Going Flat" After Mastectomy

I have "gone flat," as have many women I know. That beguiling descriptor applies to breast cancer patients like me who do not have reconstruction after a mastectomy and therefore have pancake chests. After my bilateral mastectomy in 2015, I didn't want foreign material in my body. I miss my breasts, no doubt about it. In Western culture, breasts can define us as sexual beings; without mine, I feel a tad less desirable. Breasts equal beauty and I have the profile of a pencil. But I can remedy this with bras with prostheses that are comfortable and look natural, so why sign up for additional surgery and a continued need for medical surveillance?

Many other women choose differently, especially those who are younger; I understand and respect the importance of reconstruction for their own mental and physical well-being.

But my decision to “go flat” was right for me, and new research shows I am in good company.

The great majority of women who have decided against reconstruction are comfortable with their choice, according to a study published in the Annals of Surgical Oncology. READ THE STORY HERE.  

 

No comments: